In spring of 1936 in Poltava at the premises of Kharkiv Komsomol Music Theatre there was established the Ukrainian Music and Drama Theatre named the State Theatre of Musical Drama. On November 7, 1958 there was formally opened the actual premise of N.V. Gogol Music and Drama Theatre. The troupe of theatre consists of the experienced artists of scene and creative young people. The audience hall of theatre admits 800 spectators. The square in front of Gogol Theatre is called Teatralnaia (Theatral) Square. The square in front of the second facade of building is decorated with the monument of Ukrainian Song in the similitude of Marusia Churay – a legendary Ukrainian girl, released from death penalty by the ordinance of Bohdan Khmelnytsky: - “in memory of her father and for the sake of her beautiful songs, which she composed”.