Ivan Franko National University of Lviv is one of the oldest universities in Ukraine, Europe and the world. It was founded more than 350 years ago by the decree of the Polish king John II Casimir. Since 1919 the main building of the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv was situated in the building of the former Galician parliament, which was built in pompous style of neorenaissance architecture in Vienna in 1877-1881 (architect J. Hochberger.). The main elevation of the building is decorated with arched entrances, a colonnade, statuaries "Labour" and "Education". The composition "Trustees spirit of Galicia" with images of Galicia, the Dniester and the Visla completes the above attic of the building. The building is a Ukrainian historical monument of state importance. The Museum of Archaeology is located in the main building of the University.